Monday, March 21, 2011

Kids have it good.

Dearest Sissyroo,
How is it possible for pancakes to ever be a forced food? I just can’t understand this. Hmmm, you know those books about how to sneak veggies into foods like brownies, etc...you should write one on how you can sneak high fructose corn syrup into your child’s diet by playing to their mind, rather than their bellies. I’m seriously without words, and feeling mostly...JEALOUS. Why isn’t someone trying to force me to eat pancakes? Instead of shooting me the “should you really eat that?” judgement eyes? Why do kids have it so good? I completely relate to feeling your child is playing soviet-style mind games, for instance -how can Sofie absolutely LOVE a food one day, and the next time completely refuse it via the open-mouth, let food slowly fall out method, whilst giving you the stink-eye? Hey kid! You loved it last time? You think I’m making this up? You don’t believe me? and don’t even get me started on their fighting for freedom while we’re painstakingly trying to change their diapers. I get no benefit from this! It’s only for you! Only for you! Ladies, am I right? If I wanted to be changing diapers I would have married an elderly billionaire, what? Ladies? Am. I. Right? Talking about crazy baby stuff just makes me sound like a bad female comic, talking about how hard it is to meet men.
On another note, Dean and I went to a late movie last night with Sofia, who vary graciously slept though out the entire film. It was touch and go at first, but she decided not to fight the time, and slept in her stroller. But Dean really had to rock her during the previews...standing maybe 10 feet away. So basically I was sitting by myself the entire time everyone was looking for a seat, and I cannot tell you how many “pity” looks I got, and people asking me, quite a bit, if the seat next to me was available. Now we were not sitting in an actual row, but in the 2 bucket-seats all the way to the side, where a wheelchair or stroller could sit alongside. So...suffice it to say, the people who were wanting to sit next to me were also ALONE...which made me not only feel super embarrassed that people all over probably thought I had gone to a movie by myself, but then made me feel super sad for the people who wanted to sit next to me. I don’t know if this was all hormonal or not, but seriously I was on the verge of tears, thinking of those poor older men, probably had recently lost their wives to cancer, decided they needed to get out of the memory-stained house, and maybe just escape their sadness with a movie...anyway, the moral of this story is... well, we got home like close to midnight, and saw a bunch of “couples” and young singles, just LEAVING TO GO OUT. I know that arriving some place at midnight, not too long ago, did not seem like a crazy idea, but now, honestly seems like something only the criminally-insane would do. Why? Why would anyone go out that late? and what for? What could possibly be worth more than sleep? and whatever “fun” you might be having, can always be interrupted by gunfire -after all this is Philly and worrying about senseless violence is what mom’s do. So heed my words, young, business professionals. Go home. Go to sleep. And while you’re at it, remember the next time you take an airplane ride to enjoy the peace and quite of being able to read, nap, listen to music, etc, because once you have kids, the gig is up. Never again, at least not for a loooong time. Am I right ladies? those airplanes, right? and the small seats? Whose with me?
Okay, give the professor and jock a big kiss from Auntie.
xoxo,
Sara

4 comments:

  1. I don't suppose all the requests to sit next to you at the movie had anything to do with your utter beauty? Next time Dean should stand 9 feet away, at a minimum.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ladies? Am I Right?!" Ok, the female comic line got a literal laugh out loud. My kids' food torture of choice is whining/begging for minutes on end for something specific, usually something that takes a while to prepare--like toast or sliced cheese--only to completely refuse upon presentation.

    If I were a female comic, my tag line would be: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

    So happy you guys are blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious blogging ladies, and so so true. I am right along with you on the food frustrations. How does a child go from months of love a food to outright refusing to try it. I do the reminders of "you like ---" but it is of no use! Is it a toddler exerting their power over us or do they really have horrible short-term memory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda -thank you, but no. It most definitely was because they were looking for a seat...it was super awkward. But I like your version better.
    Brazenlily -it's like they can sense when you've really tried hard on their food, to then withhold their approval. I really like "Are you kidding me?" -maybe you could use that interchangeably with, "wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, RELEASE."
    Shay -I'm really thinking "experts" may say it's just food preference & short term memory, but I think we both know it's closer to a high-powered, corporate, wallsteet-like, backroom negotiation, in which we "main street" will always bail out our toddler's misbehaviors & entitled, cushy lifestyles...or maybe it's just short-term memory. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete