Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Price of Cuddles

Dearest Sisee -
I'm tired. Not "...but what else is new, it won't stop raining in Portland, and it's depressing" tired but actual, didn't-sleep-well tired. And it's because Brett and I have been so deprived of anything resembling affection from our beloved Evan his entire life, that now that he's at an age where he's starting to mercifully dole out some love, we take it in whatever form we can get it - even if it means allowing him to jump into bed with us at 3:00 AM... and "cuddle." Long story short: the kid's a bed hog. You'd think sleeping on a 2' x 4' mattress his entire life would mean he'd stay in one position when given the luxury of being sandwiched between mom and dad in a queen-sized bed. But no. Something propels him - albeit subconsciously - to slowly turn in small degrees, on a circular axis, until he is perpendicular to us. Basically, he's trying to form a capital letter I. and as we've discussed before, at that unholy hour of the night, no parent has the energy required to completely break the sleep cycle, and take the not-so-wee babe back to bed. What should I do? I lay there doing a sad equation of sorts in my head, as the little elbow jabs me in the neck: the square root of 2 hours sleep lost + [irritated mommy next day / feeding boys mac n' cheese for every. single. meal.] = irritated mommy next day/ {3[boxes of puzzle pieces on the ground] - why am I doing math? I'M TIRED. Maybe Brett will take him to bed...} Help me.
So how are things in Philly?
Love and miss you -
Sis

No comments:

Post a Comment